The Minor "G" allele is associated with:
- Increased klotho protein resulting in enhanced cognitive function and longevity (GT) (R).
- worse cognitive function (GG).
- So 1/5 people will have the higher Klotho gene, while the rest of us have TT, which is what I have.
- Increased longevity, healthier cardiovascular function, better kidney health, and bigger brain volume (GT) (R).
For rs9536314, 80% of the population will have "TT."
There are two SNPs in the KL-VS haplotype, but 23andme only has one of them.
Having 1 minor allele of rs9536314 (but not 2) or "GT" increases klotho and results in enhanced cognitive function and longevity (R).
Having two minor alleles such as GG is associated with worse cognitive function.
So 1/5 people will have the higher Klotho gene, while the rest of us have TT, which is what I have.
Carrying one copy of rs9536314 has been associated with (R):
- healthy cardiovascular functions,
- better kidney health.
- better cognitive function,
- bigger brain volume,