Top Gene Interactions
- Metabolism: Mainly hepatic. Esomeprazole is completely metabolized by the cytochrome P450 system via CYP2C19 and CYP3A4. Metabolism produces inactive hydroxy and desmethyl metabolites, which have no effect on gastric acid secretion. Less than 1% of the parent drug is excreted in urine. Route of Elimination: Approximately 80% of the administered dose of esomeprazole is excreted as metabolites in urine and the remaining 20% is excreted in feces. Half Life: 1-1.5 hours
- Uses/Sources: Used in the treatment of acid-reflux disorders (GERD), peptic ulcer disease, H. pylori eradication, and prevention of gastroinetestinal bleeds with NSAID use. Used in the treatment of dyspepsia, peptic ulcer disease (PUD), gastroesophageal reflux disease (GORD/GERD) and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. [Wikipedia]
- Health Effects: Blurred vision, confusion, drowsiness, dry mouth, flushing headache, nausea, rapid heartbeat, sweating.
- Symptoms: Blurred vision, confusion, drowsiness, dry mouthflushingheadache, nausea, rapid heartbeat, sweating.
- Route of Exposure: Oral
Mechanism of Action
|Target Name||Mechanism of Action||References|
Aryl hydrocarbon receptor
Cytochrome P450 3A4
Potassium-transporting ATPase subunit beta
Multidrug resistance protein 1
Cytochrome P450 2C9
|Potassium-transporting ATPase alpha chain 1||Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor that suppresses gastric acid secretion by specific inhibition of the H+/K+-ATPase in the gastric parietal cell. By acting specifically on the proton pump, omeprazole blocks the final step in acid production, thus reducing gastric acidity.||